Frequently Asked Questions
- What is soul[food]?
- How does it work?
- How does someone sign-up to receive soul[food] messages?
- Do users need to have a smartphone?
- What’s the difference between the text messages and the email messages?
- How long do the messages last for?
- Do users get added to a mailing list or need to unsubscribe?
- Can I see some examples of the soul[food] cards?
- How can I encourage my church to stock soul[food] cards?
- How do I get a pack of soul[food] cards for my church?
- Is there a way of staying in contact with those who sign up to soul[food]?
1. What is soul[food]?
soul[food] is an initiative that helps churches to encourage their occasional or one-off visitors to continue considering matters of faith.
2. How does it work?
Visitors are given a small and attractive card to take away that has instructions for signing up to receive a bite-sized thought each day for the following seven days. These messages are delivered directly to their mobile phone by text message or their email inbox. There are a range of 10 cards for different occasions – click here to see the range.
3. How does someone sign-up to receive soul[food] messages?
People can sign up either to receive text messages by sending a text from their phone or for emails by signing up online. Each soul[food] card has these instructions, including a QR (Quick Response) code, which can be scanned with a smartphone to take the user to our website, where they can sign up for emails.
4. Do users need to have a smartphone?
No. Our text messages can be received by any mobile phone and emails can be received on any device with internet access.
5. What’s the difference between the text messages and the email messages?
The text messages are shorter than the emails, but they both discuss the same topics. Really, it’s just a matter of which format someone would prefer to receive the messages in.
6. How long do the messages last for?
Seven days, each day after signing-up. At the end of the seven days, users are offered the option to sign-up for [lifesteps], which is a series of twenty-one further messages.
7. Do users get added to a mailing list or need to unsubscribe?
No. Users only receive the messages they sign-up for.
8. Can I see some examples of the soul[food] cards?
Yes – click here to download some examples.
9. How can I encourage my church to stock soul[food] cards?
We've produced some helpful PowerPoint slides that should help you communicate what soul[food] is all about. Click here to access them.
10. How do I get a pack of soul[food] cards for my church?
You can order soul[food] cards from our shop by COMING SOON!
11. Is there a way of staying in contact with those who sign up to soul[food]?
One of the benefits of soul[food] is that it’s a discreet way for visitors to engage with matters of faith without worrying about being ‘followed up’. In the last message we send to each soul[food] user, we give them a link to a map of participating churches so they can find the details of the church where they picked up the card. This allows them to reconnect with the church if they would like to. If you're a participating church but you're not on the map please email the soul[food] Team by clicking here.